Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cleaning






When we got home I went and got all of the cleaning chemicals I could find. There was animal shit, feathers, dirt, and other unknowns. The water damage was extensive, from the front cap to the rear cap was dry rot and mold. The bunk beds above the rear bed were covered mold and were about the worse of the mold problem. I started by bleaching and scraping the mold from the wood and trim. Once the thick layer of mold was gone I used rags and scrubbers to get the slime off. The last thing I used was a razor scraper to shave the wood a little to remove anything that could of been left.

After the dirt and mold was gone I noticed no matter how much I vacumed there was dust in the air from walking. I went to a local carpet shop to see the price of some cheap carpet, the owner told me they just removed some good carpet and padding from a house and if I wanted it I could have it. I took a look at the carpet, it looked good enough to use for the winter with all the show and mud. I ripped up all the old carpet and there was a thick layer of fine dust that seeped through the carpet and padding. The old carpet was flat and wouldnt fluff up, after all it was over 35 years old. The carpet came up easy, the hard part was taking out the several hundred staples that held the carpet and padding to the wood floor. After the staples were gone I swept all the mess out and started to remove the carpet from the stairs. The wood was rotten and there were nuts that squirrels stored for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This is my first vintage motorhome restoration. I have restored cars and motorcycles, but nothing like this.